"I think this figure speaks volumes for the security condition in China", Lu said, adding that it far outnumbers the number of Chinese people visiting the U.S. The Chinese also say they were not briefed on the reasons for Meng's arrest.
"I and the other members of the delegation will engage with Chinese officials in as constructive way as possible, with the obvious objective of seeing these two Canadians returned safely and as soon as possible", Cooper said.
Strains with China expanded after Canadian police captured Huawei Technologies Co Ltd's CFO, Meng Wanzhou, on December 1 in Vancouver in line with the United States. The U.S. alleges Meng misled American banks in a bid to get around American sanctions on Iran.
Canadian newspaper, the Globe and Mail, reported that China had detained 13 Canadians since Meng's arrest.
"The message from Global Affairs Canada. was that it would be better for us to go rather than to cancel", said Cooper.
December 10: Chinese authorities arrest two Canadian men. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has also called for their release, and the UK, EU, Australia, France, and Germany have all issued statements voicing concern over the detentions. Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould says she takes her "extradition responsibilities and obligations very seriously" and that the final decision on extraditions lies with her. Freeland warns any comments made in the United States could be used by Meng's lawyers before Canadian courts, which would have to judge their relevance in deciding whether to follow through on the American extradition request.
In response, the Chinese government on Friday said that the United States travel warning did not hold up, citing the large number of Americans that visited the country past year. Since then two Canadian citizens have been detained by Chinese authorities, pending investigation.
"We have said here that these two Canadian citizens are under investigation in accordance with law for engaging in activities that undermine China's national security", said the prosecutor, Zhang Jun, at a briefing in Beijing.
They were barred from leaving China in November.
The two detained Canadians have only had one consular visit since their arrests. Earlier in the day, a group of 36 Australian academics demanded their government "call for the immediate release of these two detainees".