"I think most guests are understandably concerned about the strength of the storm, but I speak for myself and my family in that we believe we are safe here", said the Guangzhou-based journalist, adding that hotel staff have been very helpful.
The government and casinos took extra measures ahead of the storm, determined to avoid a repeat of Typhoon Hato which battered Macau a year ago, killing 12 people and drawing accusations the city was ill-prepared.
The cities are nearly entirely shut down and one of Macau's main attractions, local casinos, were ordered to close for the first time in history, CGTN reports. Warnings were issued, travel was restricted, schools shut and the army was put on standby in advance.
Mayor Victorio Palangdan of Itogon town in Benguet province, among the worst-hit by the typhoon that struck Saturday, said at a news conference that of the 40 to 50 people thought buried, there's a "99 per cent (chance) that they really are all dead".
China's state television reported that at least two people had been killed in the province.
Hong Kong residents were told to stay away from the coastline and be on alert for occasional gales.
Airports and high-speed railways in Guangdong, too, were shut down, throttling traffic in one of world's most urbanized and densely populated regions, with 100 million people. More than 1,000 people sought refuge in 48 temporary shelters.
Authorities there said they had evacuated more than three million people and ordered tens of thousands of fishing boats back to port before the arrival of what Chinese media dubbed the "King of Storms".
Mangkhut made landfall in the Guangdong city of Taishan at 17:00 on Sunday, packing wind speeds of 162km/h.
Itogon Mayor Victorio Palangdan said in local radio interviews that landslides had blocked roads, making relief rescue efforts hard, Xinhua reported.
National police said 64 people had died there as of Sunday, mostly due to landslides and collapsed houses, with two additional deaths reported in China. Storms are more likely in the Southeast Asian region.
Images of a residential apartment and an office building with their windows blown out circulated on social media in Hong Kong.
Parts of Hong Kong and Macau were severely flooded, though there were no immediate reports of fatalities.
Gusts of 100 miles per hour were still lashing Hong Kong, and more than 2.5 million people had been evacuated from the region.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who visited the affected areas yesterday, pledged funds for the recovery efforts.
"Water is the most immediate need for now and also the water containers, so that the people can get more water", she said. Most of Hong Kong's public transport has been suspended.
At least 391 people were injured by falling debris as winds whipped through the city, slicing through hundreds of trees and causing deep flooding in low-lying areas such as Hang Fa Chuen and Siu Sai Wan, which were badly hit by Typhoon Hato past year.